Medela’s Contact™ nipple shields make breastfeeding possible when latching on is difficult or painful by protecting sore nipples and helping your baby attach more easily.
A nipple shield is a thin, flexible piece of silicone that you place over your nipple before breastfeeding to protect it. There are holes in the tip so your milk can pass through to your baby. Some moms worry that having a ‘barrier’ between themselves and their baby may interfere with the intimacy of breastfeeding, which is why Medela Contact™ nipple shields have an open section to ensure you still enjoy plenty of that special skin contact.
There are three main circumstances when you might use nipple shields:
- If you have sore, cracked nipples, or are suffering from nipple pain.
- If you have flat or inverted nipples.
- If your baby has problems latching on to the nipple and is not drinking milk well.
Your lactation consultant or breastfeeding specialist will be able to advise you whether or not nipple shields are appropriate for you, and can also support you with your ongoing breastfeeding needs.
- Enable breastfeeding when latching on is difficult or painful or if you have flat or inverted nipples
- Protect sensitive, dry or cracked nipples during breastfeeding
- Made from transparent, ultra-thin, soft silicone that’s comfortable on sensitive skin
- Safe and taste-free for your baby
- Shape maximises skin contact between you and your baby
- BPA free
How to use nipple shields
After washing your hands with drinking-quality water and drying them thoroughly, grip the wings of the Contact™ nipple shield to guide it into place. Moistening the shield with drinking-quality water will help it stick. See the Contact™ nipple shield instructions for full details of how to put them on.The nipple shield should fit comfortably on your nipple without pinching – Medela nipple shields come in three sizes, so you can find the best fit for your type of nipple, our handy fitting guide has more details. Remember you’ll need to clean them after each use and disinfect once a day – this is often easiest using a microwave sanitising bag – see instructions for details of cleaning and sanitising. Contact™ nipple shields come with a convenient carry case so you can keep them safe between uses.